Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Attach a dynamic named excel file in Email tool

abhinabaroy09
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a workflow in which I have an excel file which is named according to the latest date and stored. I would like to attach this excel file as an attachment and send to recipients using the email tool.

A snapshot of the workflow

Capture.JPG

So, basis the date today the file will be named '2017_08_04.xlsx', and the name will change when I run the workflow tomorrow (2017_08_05.xlsx).

Is there a way by which I can send out the latest files everyday as attachments when the workflow is run?

Thanks,

Abhinaba

28 REPLIES 28
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@drahn may it be because you have specified the sheetname? When attaching a file you don't want to specify the sheetname you would want to send the entire file.

Ben

drahn
7 - Meteor

Yes - that was definitely it - so obvious! Thanks for pointing that out.

RMotiwalla
8 - Asteroid

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the Filename column when sending this.

I can check the box in the output tool to make it not show up on that output, but then when it gets to the email part if Filename is not saved in the output, it has nothing to send.

i could figure this out without inserting today's date, but I need that in the file name.

Does anyone know how to do this?

DadJokes
5 - Atom

Are you using the Block Until Done tool like in the screen shot?

If you are, then you can un-check the "Keep Field in Output" box and the file-name field will still be present in the data stream that is feeding the email tool.

If you do it this way, the email tool does not know that you removed the file-name field from the output.

Capture.PNG

nimeshkhatri
7 - Meteor

How can such report be scheduled in Alteryx gallery so it can run at preset intervals? I am able to recreate the workflow to email a saved file and email that on a local machine but don't see a way to store and select the csv from alteryx gallery since the workflow need to be scheduled.

darryl5280
10 - Fireball

For Emails save your files you want to Attach in the Temporary Folder

The Temporary Directory is %Engine.TempFilePath% when used in a Tool’s Configuration for a File but when it’s in a Formula it’s [Egine.TempFilePath]

In the "Emai"l Tool, Click on Attachments, and then the “Add” button.

Temp Directory in a Tools Confiruation FiileName Field.png

With the Formula Tool, create a filename with [Egine.TempFilePath] in front of it.

Temp Directory in a Formula.png

Jdelia
5 - Atom

I am attempting to email an attachment and I am getting the email sent 80 times. How do I prevent the process from sending an email for each record in the attachment?

darryl5280
10 - Fireball

Add the "Sample" tool in front of the "Email" tool, as logically you need the connection but not all the rows.

image.png

Jdelia
5 - Atom

That works thank you.

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Did you figure this out?

Labels