Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Assistance Needed - Inputting Single File from Multiple Folders

thenning
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I'm working on a workflow where I need to input a file (the one with the _Formatted extension below) from multiple folders (for each year).  Is there a way that I can accomplish this?

thenning_0-1655741141694.png

thenning_1-1655741201310.png

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

@thenning assuming these are just remakes for each year and the schema is the same:

1) Bring on a 'Directory' tool - Under 'Directory', select the folder all of your year folders are in and then tick 'Include Subdirectories'

2) Add a filter, with the condition: Contains([FileName], '_Formatted.xlsx')

3) Add a 'Dynamic Input' tool to the true (top) output anchor of your filter. Click 'Edit' under 'Input Data Source Template' and select one of these '_Formatted' files - Alteryx will use this as a template for the others coming in. Make sure 'Read a List of Data Sources' is selected and under 'Field', choose 'FullPath', setting the 'Action' to 'Change Entire File Path'.

Kurohits
10 - Fireball

Hi @thenning 

Please find the attached workflow. You can easily do it using Directory tool and dynamic input tool. Make sure the data structures are same across all files otherwise dynamic input would fail and we need batch macro to read files with different data structures. 

Kurohits_0-1655745703627.pngKurohits_1-1655745714138.png

Labels