Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Applying multiple filters to various columns within the same data set

Solonglolli
7 - Meteor

Hi Gurus,

Hope you can help me with the following:

I have a data set with several dimensions. I need to manipulate the data by applying multiple filters. All the filters that are applicable are either to exclude or include specific values of the records o the dataset. Here is a list of the filters that I need to apply:

1. 'SOURCE CODE' column: exclude all records with value 'GBFGWWSS01'

2. 'BRANCH CODE' column: include only those records with value '202'

3. 'NETWORK' column: include only those records with value 'SWIFT'

4. 'BENEFICIARY INST2' column: exclude all records with the following values:

’PNBPIE2DXXX’ 

‘PNBPGB2DXXX’

‘PNBPDEFFXXX’ 

‘WFBIUS6SXXX‘

‘WFBIUS6AXXX’ 

‘PNBPGB2WSIL’

So again, the columns are within the same data set, and the filters must be applied in this order. I have attached the formula tool settings I have applied but something doesn't add up as when I try to calculate sum of values after all the filtering is done, I'm not getting the same figures when comparing it to the pivot table results in the original excel file.

(The other tools in my workflow (including the summarize tool) are correct as I have configured them based on the recommendation of an Alteryx Community Guru, who helped me to set up the calculation part of the workflow.)

filters.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Solonglolli you would want to have formula tools one after another in your setup so that each subsequent filter is further filtering down your data set. The reason that this could work better for you is so that you can view the records being filtered out with each filter criteria to see if anything is dropping that shouldn't be. 

For your other question, when a formula uses equals, it is case sensitive so you have it written as you would expect. However, it is possible that in your data you have lowercase values which is what I suggested that you look into to make sure that when you are looking for GBFGWWSS01 you don't miss something like gbfgWWSS01. I am not sure if these values exist in your data, but it is worth checking. If you aren't seeing the sums that you would expect it is likely that you are accidentally filtering out more than you meant to. 

Labels