Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Appending Daily Inventory Files using Input *

ashleyinman
8 - Asteroid

I'm receiving daily inventory files with the date listed on the file name. I was using the input with 20* as the wildcard to grab files. I would like to append these files each day by stock code for total qty and the header of the file named with the date of the file pulled. From there I would like to have the Nr of pallet quantities provided from the most recent date inventory. 

stk.PNG

Original file columns. 

stk original.PNG

This is what I would like the output to show.

stk output.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Clarification question, and then a possible solution...

Question: Is this a one-time project to just populate the data that you already have, or are you wanting to append the data every day going forward as well and have the latest Nr. of Pallets column update accordingly?

Possible solution: See attached. This operates under the assumption that this is a one-time project, so would need some tweaking if this is something that you'll want to update daily going forward. Basically, the workflow figures out the Nr. of Pallets + the date column info in one branch, and then pivots the data for the Total Qty info using Cross-Tab tool in the other branch of the workflow.

Let me know if this helps get you going in the right direction, or if you need additional assistance getting this operating as an ongoing workflow!

Cheers,

NJ

ashleyinman
8 - Asteroid

I will want to append the data every day going forward and have the latest Nr. of Pallets updated accordingly. I'm not sure how I would go about adjusting the workflow. But this is definitely getting me on the right track! 

One issue I'm running into is the Dynamic rename is writing over the stock code and not the Nr. of Pallets column header. I don't know the dynamic rename enough to know how to fix this. 

ashleyinman
8 - Asteroid

I actually fixed the naming portion of the headers. I just needed to re-order the columns to have pallets first. I just may need help with the ongoing part of the workflow. 

One question is if I'm using the wildcard to pull in all the files from the same folder shouldn't this continue to append and new files? 

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Actually yes, you're totally correct - as long as you are using * to pull in all files, every time (including new ones) then it should work appending the new information that is added. Just make sure you have your output set to Overwrite, not append. :)

NJ

Labels