Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Append multiple excel files' data in a single file

SD9126
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone, I need one help. I have multiple excel data files in a folder. In each file there are 2 sheets: Sheet1 and Sheet2. I want to append all Sheet2 data in a new excel file and also in the output file I need 1 extra column which shows the source file's name. I tried to do this using Wildcard (*) in Input tool but it returned an error saying files' schema are different and ended up pulling only the 1st file's data from the folder. Also tried using Batch Macro but I guess there's some error I'm doing. Please let me know if there is any solution. Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @SD9126 

Can you provide some sample input and expected output It will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

We will be happy to help : )

binuacs
20 - Arcturus
SD9126
7 - Meteor

Sure, Here is the format:

File1 has 2 sheets: Sheet1, Sheet2.

File2 has 2 Sheets: Sheet1, Sheet2.

File3 has 2 Sheets: Sheet1. Sheet2.

Sheet2 format in all 3 files is as below with different data:

NameEmailDept
ABCABCGMAILACC
DEFDEFGMAILIT

I want to append all Shee2 data in a new excel file XYZ.xlsx as per the following format:

NameEmailDeptSource File Name
ABCABCGMAILACCFile1
DEFDEFGMAILITFile2
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @SD9126 

Methods in this post https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t... recommended by @binuacs will definitely help you in this usecase. Try each method.

Hope this helps : )

SD9126
7 - Meteor

Hi, I tried using the batch macro but it only giving the output of the file for which I'm selecting the sheet only. Not appending all files available in the directory.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @SD9126 

Try the first approach or please provide some sample files to work with.

SD9126
7 - Meteor

Please refer to the attachments

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @SD9126 

Here is how you can do it.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1644569947486.png

SD9126
7 - Meteor

Hi, already tried this. however while using the actual data files, it's showing Schema error for multiple files.

Labels