Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Append existing output option overwrites SQL table

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have an existing SQL table in MS SQL Server. What I would like to do is to take an Excel file, which has the same field as the mentioned tabled, and just append it's fields to the table (as Union tool would do).

I do that by selecting 'Append existing' in output options. However, what it does, it just overwrites the existing table and all the old records are gone, only new from the Excel are in the final result. Do you know what might be the issue? Or am I using wrong output option? Thank you in advance.

k4r1n4_0-1658231652824.png

6 REPLIES 6
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Inactive User,

Not sure what the issue is. I just tried Append existing and it worked fine.

IraWatt_1-1658232574816.png

Do you have any warning messages in the results window? I would also check your connection string see if it has any settings there? 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Inactive User I would also try using the data Stream In and Write Data In tools:

IraWatt_0-1658232834588.png

See if you have more success use them.

hannah_malek
Alteryx
Alteryx

@IraWatt - which creation mode did you use in the data stream in tool? I was just replicating this process and wondering which configuration option you set as none of them seemed appropriate for appending to an existing table in a database. Thank you!

Data Stream In.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hannah_malek, I would have created a temporary table, then appended that table. I would have chose temporary as the table would be deleted after the end of the session meaning we are just have the combined table at the end. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@hannah_malek datastream in shows different options depending upon the underlying DB type it is connecting to. With no Db selected you will not be able to see append - only create temporary/create new/overwrite (drop). 

hannah_malek
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you @IraWatt and @apathetichell for your assistance!!

Labels