Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Append Suffix to File/Table Name .xlsx vs .csv

cstafford
8 - Asteroid

i am trying to add the Area name to the filename and it will not work as an .xlsx file but it will work as a .csv file. I would prefer to have an .xlsx file, however, i am more interested and curious to find out why this works for one file type and not the other when the options to do this are available for both on the Output Data Configuration screen.

SaveFile_Area.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@cstafford It seems to work for .xlsx file types. See below.

macro.PNG

macro1.PNG

How does the AREA column look like? Do you have a screenshot or a sample workflow that you can share?

Digan
Alteryx
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

"File/Table Name" refers to the object that is storing a single data set. For a database, it's a table. For most file sources, that is the file name. For Excel, that means the individual worksheet. The only way I've found to specify a file name for an excel output is to replace the entire path. This can be tricky because unless you have a column that contains the full path you can't be sure exactly where the file will be saved. Also, if the sheet name you want to create in the new file isn't specified (by adding "|||" followed by the sheet name), you'll get an error. I've attached an example.

2019-10-03_13-39-58.png

In the example, the Input Data tool is set to save the entire file path, then a formula modifies the path name. In the Output Data tool, the "Take File/Table Name From Field" option is set to "Change the Entire File Path." 

cstafford
8 - Asteroid

This will work. Thank you.

cswanson21x
7 - Meteor

This worked perfect for me... the only modification I made was the input tool before the formula was actually a text input where I copied and pasted the destination file path location in. Otherwise the formula piece of you example worked perfectly and all I had to do was swap out the field I wanted (which I dynamically generated to be Report Name - XX/XX/XX 

Thanks for the tip!

Labels