Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Append Suffix Output Filename + Preserve Formatting in all Excel sheets

bakaidora
8 - Asteroid

Hello Together,

I have the following issue:

At the end of the workflow, I need to create one Excel with 5 different sheets, all of them have their own conditional formatting.

Besides this, the Excel should have the today’s date in the file name.

In the past, I have already got feedback from the Support Forum:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Append-Suffix-Output-Filename-Preserve...

Do you have idea how can I solve this issue? (formatting in 5 sheets + renaming)

Thanks in advance,

Dóra

3 REPLIES 3
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @bakaidora ,

What is the issue you are having?

The link you provided shows how to create a filename with the date included (create a formula which is the full path with the additional datetimetoday() function to create the file name you need).

If you are wondering how to write to the same sheet multiple times, I would suggest wrapping the output in a batch macro, using the filename field you created as the control parameter (remember to group this field using the sum tool). This prevents Alteryx from attempting to write to a file while still writing the previous sheet.

I've attached a workflow with a macro showing you how to do this. Simply change the output location in the formula tool:

mceleavey_0-1629975849946.png

This feeds a batch macro:

mceleavey_1-1629975876587.png

Hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

bakaidora
8 - Asteroid

Dear @mceleavey

actually the issue is the following:

I am able to save one file with 5 tabs and with a date (today) in the file name, however, the tabs are not formatted.

I would like to keep everything which I have now and additionally I would like to have formatted tabs.

When I am using the link which I linked under my question the following happens: date (today) in the file name is available, the 5th sheet is available and formatted but the other tabs (1-4) are overwritten (and deleted) by the workflow, so they are not available. 

I checked the solution what you mentioned in your feedback.

Unfortunately, one tool is not available for me. (instead of tool shows me a questionnaire)

Currently, my Version is 2020.4.5.12471

Do you have any other option which helps me to solve the issue with my current version?

Thanks in advance,

Dóra

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @bakaidora ,

you need to save the .yxmc file in your macro folder.

Options->User Settings->Edit User Settings->Macros. You can set your macro folder here.

M.

Bulien

Labels