Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

App with dynamic lists and calgary filter

rtlane
8 - Asteroid

I'm working on an app that will eventually be used on an Alteryx server that my company will be getting soon. 

The goal is to have multiple list boxes that are dynamic and filter the following information as an example:

SiteSite NameSectorCarrier
1111Name112
1111Name121
1111Name131
4444Name211
4444Name222
5555Name311
6666Name422

So for example, if I run the app and filter for Site: 1111, Sector: 2, then for the Carrier selection, it would only show Carrier 1 is available to select. If I select Site: 1111 with no other selections, then it will show sectors 1,2,3, and carriers 1,2 are available to select.

So basically whatever I select, it will update the lists to show the remaining choices for sector carriers. The user can choose to only select site or site name only if he chooses to but still would like the sector and carrier to be dynamically updated. The selections (Site/Site Name, Sector, Carrier) are then passed onto a Calgary input tool to filter out everything but the selections.

So does anyone know how to create dynamic lists, preferably in one workflow, and also a good way to filter a Calgary input directly.

Here is my current interface:

Capture.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @rtlane ,

The best way to do this is to use a tree tool, not a list box.  You can nest your key-values so expanding a tree will lead to only those choices under it.  In your example, they'd see a choice of each unique site.  As you expand one, you'll see what falls under it, and so on.  Like this:
2021-02-25 07_46_41-Gallery.png

And then you can feed that choice into a filter tool right within a Calgary input.  I'll be honest, it's not simple.  I have a use case somewhere in the community where I do this, and an Inspire Session from back in Vegas where I walked through my set up.  I'll see if I can find them and post them here (not sure if either are still hanging around though).

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here's the use case that gives a high-level overview:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Use-Cases/Alteryx-Server-for-Self-Service-Analytics-at-Payc...

And while my session from Vegas is listed here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Inspire-2017-Buzz/Inspire-2017-sessions-available-on-demand/td-p/71... ,  along with a link to YouTube of the actual session (scroll down to "Tips & Tricks from an Alteryx Ace: Deploying Apps and Reporting to the Alteryx Gallery"), the link takes you to someone else's presentation LOL.  Not sure if @LeahK can assist, but I do have an MP4 of it that perhaps someone on her team can post to YouTube, or I can attach it here, but I'm guessing it will be too large to upload to the community.

Labels