Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

App - using the output from parameter 1 to filter the options available in parameter 2

KHarragan
5 - Atom

In my dataset I have say two categories, 'Fruit' and 'Vegetables'. I have created an app with an input for the user to select which category they want to report on. I'm doing this dynamically, none of the inputs are hard coded.

There are then four sub-categories, 'Apples', 'Pears', 'Peas' and 'Carrots'. I'd like to create another input for the user to select the sub-category but where if the user selects 'Fruit' they only see 'Apples and 'Pears'; if they select 'Vegetables' they only see 'Peas' and 'Carrots'. If I create another input in the app then the user sees both questions when they run the app, and the second question shows all four sub-categories.

I'd like to change the app so that when its run, the user only sees the first question. Once they've made their selection, the app then processes their choice, and then shows the second question, with the choice of sub-categories available to choose from being dependent on the response to the first question.   

I'm guessing it will involve a macro of some sort but I'm unsure where to start. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This can be achieved using chained applications. Build the first application/wizard to present the first "fruit/vegetable" question, the user will make their selection and click "Finish". This first app can open the second application that can read results from the first application/wizard and show the appropriate selections based on that choice. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applications/ta-p/7...

KHarragan
5 - Atom

HI CharlieS thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Labels