Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

App rendering UNC file path

icoleman
7 - Meteor

I have a UNC path that I want to display as a link in the render tool when the app is completed. The link is to go to "\\mycompany\city\purchasing benchmarking" and when I add it to the link Alteryx is putting "file://" before the path and it won't open in windows explorer. It's not the space in the name because I've tried it without that and it still adds the file prefix. Any way to get this to work right?

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

How are you adding the link to the layout? When I need to add a link, I use the Report Text tool's link button. The syntax looks like this:

<Link Alteryx Community|https://community.alteryx.com/>

It seems like this feature was designed to website links so UNC paths (and their characters) will need some special attention. 

icoleman
7 - Meteor

My link matches what you did, except I can't do the temp pdf as it won't come up with the gallery app. I have it set as a pcxml file as the output with a temp directory to show the values. My link to the next step of the app works fine, as it is a web url, but I want to be able to have the user click the UNC directory which all the files output to.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@icoleman 

my guess is that you’re using Chrome. If so, that browser removed support for launching a file directory URL. If you try that URL using IE/Edge and I think Firefox, it would launch File Explorer as you’d expect.

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

icoleman
7 - Meteor

Spectacular. Thanks for your help, didn't think of the browser being the issue.

Labels