Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Andy Uttley, Alteryx ACE, makes music with Alteryx | Math + Music

App on Alteryx Server lose sheets in Excel output

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

My application output data to excel file where second sheet is formatted and takes data from the first one:

screen1.PNG

It works on my computer, but when I upload it to the server, only the sheet selected in output tool exist:

screen2.PNG

Is it standard behaviour? If yes, is there alternative way to accomplish it?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mat_ste_cb

Does the file on the server contain the formatted Office tab before you run the workflow? Are you using the Overwrite Sheet option in your Output Data tool?

If you are able to attach a workflow, that would be helpful as well.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @DaveF,

As you can see in attached files, output file in app contains 2 sheets, however, in packaged app contains only 1 (same thing happen when I upload app to the server gallery).

Highlighted
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mat_ste_cb

Two things you need to do:

1. Update your Output Data path to refer to the full path of the Excel file (e.g., C:\users\matstecb\output_file.xlsx|||workingIndustrial). Make sure that the Run As user on Server has access to this file.

2. When saving the workflow to Gallery, click Manage Workflow Assets -> Uncheck output file

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

To DaveF's point - the reason this happens when migrated to the server is because Alteryx isn't actually creating anything other than the 1 tab you're telling it so, so in the context of the server, it doesn't have access to the original file, so its writing out to a new file that only contains the single sheet.

You might want to consider putting this file on a shared drive that both you and the server have access to so that the update can be done. 

If this is a process that multiple people will use, you will run into file contention unless you do something to duplicate the file you're writing out to - think of this as a template. You can accomplish this using a .bat file that Alteryx executes when the workflow starts - it would essentially copy your template file to another location and write over that for the user, ensuring that the original template isnt destroyed and eliminating write contention (though this might not be necessary depending on your use case).

Info on .bat files to copy and move a file - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/986447/batch-file-to-copy-files-from-one-folder-to-another-folde...

Info on how to execute .bat files in Alteryx -

1. Click anywhere on the blank canvas

2. In the configuration window, select Events

3. Configure a run command event that executes the .bat file you've created above (should look like this;)

image.png

Highlighted
5 - Atom

@ZacharyM

I am running in to same issue lately and i am unable to figure this out , Would it be possible to share an example gallery (analytic application ) for this so that i can use the file copy logic etc...

My issue is i am writing to a fixed tab in a pre-created(formatted with additional static tabs) excel file on my local machine, my solution works on my local machine as soon as i upload it to the gallery file format is lost  

Labels