Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

App drop down not populating

sreejithmp
8 - Asteroid

Hi folks,

Am trying to get the name column on the drop down from TXT file . But app not working file is reading but not populating the drop down. Could you please help where am gey wrong. Action configured as update value.

IMG20220407234852.jpg

20220408_000835_0000.png

IMG20220407234908.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

connect your input data to your drop-down - not your file browse. Run as workflow. then run as app. see how that looks.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sreejithmp 

It could be because of the nature of the txt file. It's not considered a Data File itself.

If you save the .txt file as .csv, it should work.

If you cannot change the .txt format to .csv, I recommend using a Chained Analytic App, so you can read the file in the first app, and then have the second app to pick the fields to sort.

Cheers,

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sreejithmp 
I think this is because Alteryx can not work as run time fundamentally.
When we hit run, the data is collected and can not be updated in run time any more.
If I am correct, we have to use a Chained App, which is rather simple actually.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Chaining-Workflows-Together/ta-p/3857...
I have prepared a simple sample for your reference.

ChainedApps.gif

sreejithmp
8 - Asteroid

Got it thank you of the effort. One doubt in this case if there is one change in column in first input will that get reflect in second app dropdown.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sreejithmp 
Based on my test. the answer is Yes.
That is the exact reason we are using Chaining Apps. 😁

Labels