community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
#SANTALYTICS

The highly anticipated Alteryx Community tradition is back! We hope you'll join us!

Learn More

App Support

Meteoroid

Hello,

I'm modifying an existing app that was made in Designer. This app prompts the user to select 2 files to be outputted and puts it in an excel spreadsheet. The changes that I want to make are renaming the Tabs that show up when the excel sheet after the user runs the app and if there is any way to reorder those sheets.

Let me know if there needs to be any additional clarification! 

Thanks

Alteryx
Alteryx

The tabs that are output are based on the way that the Output Data tools are configured in the workflow. You can use the option at the bottom of the configuration tool to "Take File/Table Name From Field" if you wanted it to name the tab based on values that you have in your data which would give you flexibility in how they are named. The order itself is alphabetical so some people will put the number 1, 2, 3, etc before the tab names so they show in the order desired. 

Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is some additional context on modifying the sheet names in an Excel workbook: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Modify-File-Name-for-Multi-T...

Meteoroid

Where would you change it to put 1,2,3 etc. in front for a desired order?

Alteryx
Alteryx

That would be in the sheet name itself. So if you are using the option in the output tool to change the table based on a field, you would want the name of the tab indicated in the field name being used. 

Meteoroid

Is there anyway to actually change the name as a whole? I want to make the tabs different names

Alteryx
Alteryx

Yes, take a look below as an example

output 1.png

output 2.png

Meteoroid

So in my output, I was able to change the names of the tab. However, when I run the app, both the old name and new name show up. How can I get rid of the old name, because in my workflow, those names have been changed to the revised names.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx
The output tools will only overwrite the sheets that they are pointed to. You can either open up the excel workbook, delete the old sheets, then run again, or delete the entire excel file and run workflow again. The old sheet names should not be created again.
Labels