Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

App - Populate list box with SQL query data; and selection passed to create dynamic query

pankajk
10 - Fireball

Hi friends - I have a unique problem but am sure it has been solved 🙂

Need to populate list box dynamically from a query (eg, Customer Number and Customer Name from a SQL table). The client than selects a particular customer from the 'List Box' and that selection is passed to another Dynamic query that can query the transactions for that particular customer.

My 1st use case was to run the 2nd query (transactions) dynamically, which I was able to do........ the issue is now how to get the list box to be populated (~1 million rows of unique data) and then let the user select before the 2nd query runs.

The 'ideal' use case is I can select multiple customers versus 1 customer in the selection.

2 REPLIES 2
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @pankajk,

the solution would be a Chained App. (Learn more about it here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120)

The first App will basically only do a Select * Distinct Customer_Number from table and write it to a (temporary) file. This allows the second App to read in these values for the list box. The user won't really notice that they are "two Apps" because both are basically "one application" with just a "next" Button between both parts.

Best

Alex

pankajk
10 - Fireball

thanks @grossal  for sharing a wonderful training video on Alteryx Chained app. This works perfectly and I have built a chain app POC for my team.

Labels