Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

App Inputs not Saving

angelarovetto
7 - Meteor

I have an app that prompts users for inputs based on list box tools fed into select tools. The list boxes are populated dynamically based on yxdb files (generated from a separate workflow). When I save off the inputs and try to reload them, the list box inputs don't save. I've tried this on 2019.1 and 2019.2 and for some reason neither work.

The app interface has multiple tabs - the responses on the first and last tabs save, but nothing in between. I've tried to load both via the regular app as well as via the interface designer (test view). 

I've tried closing Alteryx and restarting the application, but nothing seems to work. I've not experienced this on any other workflow. Any ideas on why the inputs I'm saving in the yxwv file aren't loading completely?

For my application, it's important that the end users be able to save their inputs since there are a lot of questions (boxes to check). Is there any limitation on what the yxwv files will save off? 

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
I think at the very least we are going to need a screenshot to fully understand what the issue is and whether there is an issue with your workflow.

But no, there is no restriction on saving files from apps.

Ben
angelarovetto
7 - Meteor

I started to make a dummy version that I could post here and I noticed that the list boxes won't populate properly until I run the workflow (regular run, not as the app).

If I try to run the app "clean" (meaning the data in those source yxdb files is different from what was there when I originally configured the workflow), the saved inputs won't populate for those. However, if I run the workflow manually to pick up the new data in the source yxdb files, then the list boxes will populate correctly and the saved input file behaves as expected. I think the answer of why those weren't "saving" was that when importing the saved inputs, Alteryx will only match up what it can (and in this case, since some of the data on the list boxes was different from what was saved, that's causing the behavior I observed). So, I think I've answered my original question.

Ideally I don't want my end users to have to run the workflow manually at all (regular run) - I want them to just be able to run as the app and get the right data in the list boxes (and be able to save their inputs, since they will have a lot of boxes to check). However, I've tested out a few different methods and nothing seems to work.

Basically I need the list boxes to "read" data from a yxdb file when the workflow is initialized but that doesn't seem to happen. When I change the data that's in the yxdb file that feeds the list box questions, it doesn't update in the app interface until after I've manually run the workflow. 

Any ideas on how I might be able to force these list boxes to "update" based on whatever data is in the source file when the workflow is run as an app?

I've attached a zip file with my dummy workflow (I did this instead of packaging because I wanted to retain the file structure and relative paths). 

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi!

You need to look at chained apps.

Your first workflow should generate the datasources in the required structure to be consumed by a list box (that is a two column list, one called name and one called value), at present you do this in your application, but the list box is populate when a user executes the workflow.

This blog should give you a good start...

https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/brian-scally/chaining-apps-in-alteryx/

Ben

angelarovetto
7 - Meteor

Ben, thank you so much for the point in the right direction! I chained my apps together and modified how I was using the list boxes and I'm on my way to wrapping up my config. Cheers!

Labels