Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Anyone received Experian txt file and been able to open it?

Number4
8 - Asteroid

I've received a txt file from Experian.  Along with a code sheet.

If you just open the txt file, it contains multiple rows of zero's, with + symbols (as a separator?)

I can't see to get this to open.

Has anyone worked with one of these files?

8 REPLIES 8
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Number4 

Can you attach it? Scratch that, I just remembered what Experian is so Don't attach it.  Can you provide a dummy/sample? 

Dan

Number4
8 - Asteroid

I cannot.  Here is a snapshot of it, which shows what the body looks like.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@Number4 

Have you tried importing it as a .csv with no delimiter (\n).  That should at least read the file in.  From there, you may have to build a custom workflow to parse it.  

Experian provides several types of output files and their website has details about the formatting of at least some of them.  Have you looked there?

Dan

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

What does the code sheet look like?

Number4
8 - Asteroid

It appears to define column widths and starting points.

I've reached out to my contact and I'll respond with what they say.

Using (\n) does open it, but appears to drop anything hidden in the 0's.

TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Which Experian product is this? Sometimes those text files they deliver are fixed width text files - and the code sheet they gave you is the translation of the fixed widths you need to use for each variable.

TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yep! That's definitely a fixed width text file.

When you drag the file on to the Alteryx canvas - you should get the option to read it in as a fixed width text file - like below.

TravisR_0-1576601701137.png

Once you select that option and hit ok - you ca either manually define the widths by hand - or you can import that code file that Experian provided you.

TravisR_1-1576601779879.png

Number4
8 - Asteroid

This is what I did, but in Excel.  I hadn't checked that box on the csv import for fixed width, so I didn't realize I could do this with Alteryx.

Wish I had, because Alteryx allows you to expand the window to see as many columns as your screen will allow.

The Excel box will not expand.  

Labels