Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Any way to display the number of records at a certain point in a workflow?

jakehorst
5 - Atom

I think its likely this is not something in Alteryx already, but I'm curious if there is a way to show on the canvas the number of records at a certain node in the workflow. For example, I'd like to display the number of records that are in the input data, then display the number of records somewhere after a merge to make sure that all records made it through / no new records were created, and then on output to make sure that all made it through. 

5 REPLIES 5
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

The only place to see the number of records on the canvas is on the connection line. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @jakehorst 

In the Canvas tab in Workflow Configuration, set the Connection Progress option to Show.

danilang_0-1645880335508.png

The top number in the progress detail is the number of records at that point and the bottom is the amount of memory used

danilang_1-1645880420119.png

This information get only updated when the workflow runs, so if you make any configuration changes, you will need to rerun the workflow to get the new numbers

Dan

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Another way is to add browse tools after the tools you want record counts for, and go to it's annotation setting and label it something that makes sense.  If you do that, then in the results window as the workflow is running you'll see "[your name here]: X records.

See below:

2022-02-26 08_19_12-Window.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @jakehorst 

Here is something you can do. Let's you have a very large canvas and you don't want to scroll around to check the row count at a specific checkpoint because it might take more time and also don't want to go through the result log since that might also take time. And if you are interested in checking only specific steps you can set up something like below.

atcodedog05_0-1645887826713.png

I am basically inserting a row count tool, adding a label to each step, and collating all of them together so that I can get a log to see the specific row counts very easily and fast to take decisions.

Hope this helps : )

JasBo
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx community!

Searching for the same information - the number of records per edge - I also saw that they are displayed while the workflow is running.

Unfortunately, once the workflow finishes, the numbers disappear after two or three seconds, even if I don't touch anything.

This is quite frustrating - do you know if there's a more long-lasting fix for this, besides adding extra modules only for this purpose?

Thanks and best regards!

Labels