Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

General Discussions has some can't miss conversations going on right now! From conversations about automation to sharing your favorite Alteryx memes, there's something for everyone. Make it part of your community routine!

Anonymizing data

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

HI all,

Does anyone know a way to anonymizing  data in Alteryx?  I have unique identifiers that function as keys in my current DB.  When I publish data to Tableau server I want to be able to change these IDs so they are usable in Tableau but revertable to IDs in my DB.  Any ideas? 

T_Willins
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @JohnMaty,

Do the numbers have to be completely random or just a substitute?  If the second, add a Record ID tool and use that as the identifier in Tableau.  

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

HeyT_Willins,

That crossed my mind too.  I guess I could do that and hash a translation table between them.  I guess I was just looking for something more "elegant"

John

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You could also introduce a random sort before assigning the ID in cases where the sequence might not already be random. Use a Formula tool to assign a Rand() value, sort by this, then assign the RecordID and go from there. 

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

I think I get it.  Let me mock up some data and see if I understand it.  Thanks!

T_Willins
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

No matter what you will need a key generated to restore the IDs, which can be an output of the first workflow.  A record id will give you a static key, while generating a random number will give you a more secure key, but is only good if the key is matched with the output from the same workflow run as the rand() function will generate a different number for a given record each time it is run.  Also, be sure to match it with a record ID as rand() can generate the same number for two records.

Labels