Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Analytics app for basic descriptive analysis

kapoorp
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am trying to make an analytics app which basically takes an input file (using File browse) and then using list box tools prompts user to choose measures and dimensions based on input data. The intent is to provide a user with some basic descriptive analysis based on available data using summarizations based on fields that a user chooses as well as aggregation types that a user chooses.

Example:

(input Data)

EmpIdVendorDateAmountLocationCategory
101AMEX2012-04-021782.55ChicagoMeeting
201AMEX2013-05-061522.36New YorkMeeting
301VISA2014-05-06100.98BostonEntertainment
401DISCOVER2014-05-061229.11San DiegoWiFi

Now a user provides this data, and expects some descriptive as an output. So the app should as users which cols. to use for any summarizations and what all aggregations are expected.

So one user can provide summarization to done at empid level and want aggregations like - sum, avg, median, stdev and another user can ask for summarization as vendor and location and aggregation as sum, avg, median, variance etc. , hence keep the summarization dynamic.

Any help possible?

3 REPLIES 3
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @kapoorp - Here is how you can achieve a desired outcome:

ArtApa_0-1616230847763.png

ArtApa_1-1616230879370.png

kapoorp
7 - Meteor

Hi @ArtApa 

Thanks for sharing the workflow. But the shared workflow:

1. Only does a group by using a single field
  2. If I replace the dropdown with a listbox, then it gives error. Thus the purpose of providing a dynamic summarization is not fulfilled. In your workflow, I can either choose Empid OR Vendor OR Location etc (one only at any time).
  3. Also, in this approach if the data is changed the workflow may not work as expected. Ex. from 6 fields if it goes to 12 fields with more than 1 numerical field, then this workflow would not remain a generic one and do statistical summarizations on that one amount field only.

kapoorp_1-1616435570193.png

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @kapoorp - True. The provided app only works well with the provided data sample, not with any random dataset. 

Your idea with Listboxes will not work by its nature, as if you will group by more than one field, you will need to define a sequence. The Listbox does not give you this flexibility. This means that you still need to get back to a single selection Interface tool, e.g. Drop Down. You may then want to build chained apps to intelligently provide selection options for both Group By and Calculations.

If this problem is really worth solving, I encourage you to invest your time and learn how to build Chained Apps here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Creating%2...    

Labels