Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytical App for matrix table

James1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I'm looking to create an analytical app that automates the process of checking a matrix table for clashes between certain roles.

Basically I want the UI to show a list box of roles, where the user will tick the boxes for the roles they want checked. The result from the app will show if there is a clash between the roles, and show if there is a control in place.

We currently do this process through excel by manually looking up a table each time. I have a good idea of what to do, just hoping to get some ideas on the best way to do this. I'd like to keep it dynamic in the sense that new roles are continuously created, so adding these new roles to the list as efficiently as possible.

Screenshot 2019-10-15 at 22.29.34.png(example of matrix table we use)

Thanks 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you clarify the question? Not sure what is meant by "Clash." Does this mean two different roles have the same responsibility?  In that case, I would expect that all values where Row Name = Column Name would be the same, but the value for Row F/Column F is "Clash" but all the other values where Row = Column are empty.

EDIT: Also Row B/Col F shows a Clash but Row F/Col B doesn't.

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Here's one approach, assuming that if there is a clash between Role A and Role B then there is also a clash between Role B and Role A. So, although I started with your data, the result is a little different. Let me know what I'm missing.

Not the cleanest solution, but with Alteryx there's almost always multiple ways to accomplish a task so I expect we'll see some good alternatives.

I only focused here on the first part of the problem, which is identifying the conflicts. I'll look at the app part of this shortly.

Updated this post with a List Box tool that allows you to select Roles. It is saved as a yxzp (Alteryx Package) because Community does not support the posting of of yxwz files.

James1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Tony, 

The table is just something thrown together for illustrative purposes. 

The idea is a user requests access to a certain role. To ensure the requested role does not cause an independence issue with current roles they already have, a table (like the example table used) is checked for conflicts between requested and current roles.

Thanks!

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

So you want to re-create the matrix from your original post on a regular basis, to include new roles?  What does the source data look like that's used to generate the matrix?

James1
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you!

Labels