Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytical App - Drop Down Dynamic input - Chained app

Jo-B
8 - Asteroid

Dear all, 

I struggling with the following problem. 

- I have a list of users requesting access. Those data are stored in an Excel file. The requestors are collected via an analytical app. This works fine.

- In the second step I want to have the actual list of requestors (David and Garath) as a dynamic input for the drop down tool. 

I have understood, I need to set up a chained app. The first one is updating a helper file into the format:  Name & Value. 

NameValue
David0
Garath0

And in the second app I need to select the option "External Source".

All those steps are working fine. 

However the next step does not work, when connecting it to my filter. What is not correct in my workflow? It always gives me a false. 

Your help is highly appreciated! 🙂

2020-11-18 17_42_14-Window.png2020-11-18 17_44_28-Window.png2020-11-18 17_43_37-Window.png

3 REPLIES 3
marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hey @Jo-B !

First of all, like a tip for you, a good practice to you can find problems in that UI cases, is to use the debug mode. You can press the shortcut ctrl+alt+d to open interface option and take the second option of the left, there you can select in your UI to create a new workflow with the values you choose of the UI, that always help me a lot!

So, back to your issue, I think the problem is how your action update the filter, because if I'm not wrong the output of your dropdown will be like "option1=True, option2=False, option3=False" instead of the option itself, so you need to update you value in filter to get the options equal true, maybe by regex formula.

Jo-B
8 - Asteroid

Hi @marcusblackhill 

I think you have guided me to the right direction! 🙂

The issue was that filter was working on the Value column and not on the name column. Therefore I entered in my pre-workflow the formula: Value=name

Than I changed the filter: [Value]= 'Johanna' . So the action was working on the value and not on the name. 

Many thanks for the input! 🙂

2020-11-18 18_28_21-Window.png

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Nice! @Jo-B 

Happy to help! So if already worked, mark the answer like accepted to close the issue.

Good developments!

Labels