Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytic works, gallery results in zero records

Csand
8 - Asteroid

Hi - i've written a chained analytic that follows this flow of three analytics:

1) Pull a list of applications from my database, de-duplicate, and store in a temporary Alteryx analytics database as "name" and "value" for use in a drop-down.

2) Pull the de-duplicated applications into a drop-down from the temp file (as External Source, see #1 above), pull report dates for these applications (one to many), and store these in a temporary Alteryx analytics database as "name" and "value" for use in a drop-down.

3) Pull the report dates into two drop-downs (both from the temp file as External Source, see #1 above), use the selections in two filter which should keep only the records for the selected dates, and then use a join to identify the outliers. Finally, export those records into an excel file.

#1 and #2 work in my designer and in the gallery. #3 correctly populates the dropdown in my designer and the gallery, but only produces results in the designer- no results are returned in the gallery. Anyone see anything like this before?

I've included a picture of analytic #3, since this is the only one with issues.

Alteryx_Step3.png

15 REPLIES 15
Inactive User
Not applicable

When you run the app in designer are you getting a result? Also, where is your file saving, on the same network as the gallery service? Have you saved the third workflow in the chain as an analytical app and checked off the output to show up in the results?

Try these things and see if any of those work (if not done already).

Csand
8 - Asteroid

Hi Ryan,

Yes, when I run the analytic in designer I do get the correct results (and have the "on success - show results to user" checked). I don't change anything when publishing to the gallery regarding the save location, but it does seem like my temporary Alteryx database file is not saving to my network location that my designer uses when I execute within the gallery. Is it possible to figure out where the gallery is saving files to?

Note that I am a very new user here!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Csand have a look at my post here detailing the different ways to display results to the user: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Connect-Gallery/How-do-show-my-output-in-the-gallery-after-...

When you publish a workflow to the gallery, you'll want to pay attention to the manage workflow assets option.

Can you post a pic of the output tools configuration if you're still having trouble?

Csand
8 - Asteroid

Hi @patrick_digan - I accepted your post as a solution because changing from directory-specific locations to a relative/local URL created the file with the correct tabs names.

However, the analytic is not publishing any results to excel. This is strange because it works without issue in the Designer, and previous Analytics in the chain read from my Access database without issue (since i've been able to see that the dropdowns are correctly populated from a temp database...which was previously populated by Alteryx from this Access database). See below for the current analytic design.

FYI - the output settings for each excel are "Overwrite Sheet (Drop)".

Alteryx_ProcessScreenshot.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Csand Nothing is really jumping off the page as suspicious.

1) Do you have access to the server your gallery is running on (or have the controller token to connect from your designer)? If so, I would log on to that machine (or use your machine if you have the controller token) and view the messages. I would pay attention to your filters.

2) Do you have access to an Alteryx server running Alteryx 2018.1? The public gallery is on this version, or you could try to have your server updated (if possible). There is a new feature where it will show you all the messages when go back to your workflow results. You can click on "looking for more" at the bottom of the gallery webpage to see what version you're running.

3) You could try to add more outputs to see where your records disappear. For example, an output connected right to your input should return results, but perhaps it will return 0 records after the filter. This could hopefully pinpoint exactly where something funny is happening.

Csand
8 - Asteroid

@Patrick_Digan thanks for your continued support with this issue. It's tremendously helpful for learning the platform.

1 & 2) I don't have access to the server yet, but working on getting access to that tomorrow to potentially pursue these avenues.

3) This was a great suggestion. I was able to add an output on the first step to demonstrate that the raw data is importing and exporting without any issues. So, I then moved that forward and discovered that no results were being output from the filter. The value of the drop down is User_ListID (and the corresponding name is the Report Date). Could this be a variable handling issue that happens in the gallery but not in local designer? Reason being...the ID is a number in my access database (the input), but I bring it in as a "V_WString (1000)" and it is red in the select configuration (picture attached here). The drop-down value is stored as a "V_WString (1000)" via the previous analytic in the chain.

FilterFieldTypes.png

Csand
8 - Asteroid

...update already. I went ahead and changed the field type in the Access database to Text, and changed both field types in Alteryx to "V_WString (255)". So, that removed the red highlight. However, still getting perfect results in Designer but not results from the filter onwards in Gallery. So strange!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Interesting! Can you grab a picture of your drop down tool configuration? 

Csand
8 - Asteroid

Of course! I've simplified the workflow to just have the key activities that are failing (Input, Dropdown > Filter). The "AllResults" does output all results in both Designer and Gallery, the "FilteredResults" only works in Designer.

MinimizedWorkflow_Filter.png

Labels