Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytic app using regex problem

humbertoj88
7 - Meteor

Hi Community, 

I've recently created my first analytic app, it's meant to do the following:

1- Allow users to connect a file, via the input tool 

2- Tool detects the string columns, you can then choose which one you will clean (using a dropdown)

3- You select a pattern for the regex tool (using a dropdown)

4- You select what you want to replace the info with (free text)

5- You save the file using an output file.

While the app works with the attached example .... when i connect a different excel file with other column names it does not update the list of values in the dropdown list. It expects me to change the name of the column that i want to clean to "concept" 

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? 

I'm attaching the packaged app

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @humbertoj88,

I think you would need chained apps in order to achieve this.

The first would only read the file, make a temporary save and extract the column information.

The seconds would than read in the column names from the extract and load the temporary save and could work with the imported column names and apply the regex to it.

Best

Alex

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, you would need to create a chained app to achieve this functionality. Essentially, an Alteryx workflow is only a series of settings and metadata. Until a workflow is run, the metadata is not updated. As a result, your dropdowns won't be repopulated with the new dataset. 

A chained app on the other hand, executes a series of processes first and then uses this data in another downstream process. See below for some resources to help you get started:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applicatio...

humbertoj88
7 - Meteor

Thanks heaps Alex, I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

humbertoj88
7 - Meteor

Thanks! I'll check those two and fix mine.

Cheers,

Labels