Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytic app summarize with different field headers

Adara
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to create an analytic app that allows the user to update the Summarize tool for all fields on a sheet, the problem we have is that every sheet we run will have variations on field names or additional fields added/missing, depending on the project.

Attached is the workflow with a macro I cannibalized that lists all possible actions used in Summarize per field and was hoping to connect the output to a Decision Tree that can connect to the Summarize tool following the original sheet but am in over my head now. Or maybe it's completely the wrong direction.

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
redd1976
7 - Meteor

I would also like to know the answer to this, I have yet to get one to work with summarize the way I would like.

VianneyM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Adara,

Someone already solved your same challenge and uploaded an app

"...I have recently overcome a challenge, whereby I wanted to give the end user of an analytical app the ability to choose their aggregations, allowing our line of business analysts to ask additional questions of our data, without needing additional input from my team...."

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/App-allowing-users-to-manipulate-the-s...

Let me know if this helps you further

Best,

Vianney

Best,
Vianney
Adara
8 - Asteroid

Hey @VianneyM 

Thanks for jumping in and redirecting me to that post.

I actually used part of that one to create the first macro in my set, your redirect helped me figure out the second macro is needed but I am still not quite there. The interface is showing up with the fields for the tree but the action options are not.

Adara_0-1579120710690.png

Pretty sure the second macro is causing the issue but my knowledge of using XML like this is pretty nonexistent.

Thanks,

Sarah

Adara
8 - Asteroid

Many thanks to @DanielBr for helping me solve this. Avoided having to use Summarize altogether with a combination of Field Info, Cross Tab, Transpose, and Dynamic Rename. This avoids having to manually configure every column but having to treat string and numeric fields differently to accomplish what I need.

image.png

Any way to avoid manually configuring dozens of columns every new sheet is a win.

Labels