Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Analytic App to move selected files from one location to my default working directory

anktaggrwl11
5 - Atom

I'm trying to create an analytic app that can be run locally that will allow me to select any number of source yxdbs from a network folder that I want to have copied into my local working directory... 

I'm able to do single file selections to copy and move over via the run command tool, but what I really want is the ability to copy any number of files that I choose when I run the app, and for those files to be copied over to my local machine that has a folder tree that mirrors the network folder tree that i'm copying from...

i.e. I'd like to choose (ideally from a tree tool):

\\SourceDirectory\FileA.yxdb and copy that to \\LocalDirectory\

\\SourceDirectory\Load\FileB.yxdb and copy that to \\LocalDirectory\Load\

\\\\SourceDirectory\Extract\FileC.yxdb and copy that to \\LocalDirectory\Extract\

Has anyone done this? If so, please show me your ways.

1 REPLY 1
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

hey @anktaggrwl11 

There are a few pieces that you'd need to assemble and get working one by one to achieve what you want.

a) Select the folder - use a folder browse

b) Select the files - you'll need to do a chained app on this - where you pass the folder into the next app which then has a list select for the files (which you'd need to populate from a directory tool)

c) You'd then need to copy the files selected across to your target location - presumably by using a file copy tool like this one https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/File-Copying-and-Moving/td-p/592216

So this is possible, but not trivial.    

Labels