Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Analytic App Update Action tool with results from another flow

cowannbell
8 - Asteroid

I have a analytic app where the user is presented with three interface tools.  One of the tools is a Select File tool.  I need to take that file tool they select and change it from an excel one column file with multiple lines to one line of text to then send to the update tool that will then feed the update value tool.

What could I do?  This is the app.  You see I need to connect to the update tool

cowannbell_0-1652276956159.png

The results of this is what I need to feed to the update tool

cowannbell_1-1652277032572.png

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

I think in this case you'd need to chain them.

For the flow which transforms your initial input, go to interface designer (Ctrl+Alt+D) and select 'On Success - Run Another Analytical App' and then select your second flow:

DataNath_0-1652277879212.png

On the output itself, save it to a (specific) folder where the second app can then grab it from.

DataNath_1-1652278567371.png

In the second app, you could then attach another data input tool (directory), which grabs the file from the specific folder you setup for outputs of app #1, which then links to/updates the action tool for the value.

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @cowannbell,

What you could do is make the first bit a Macro and pass the dates and stuff through as control parameters.

I've made a quick example of what I mean here -

Ben_H_0-1652278260777.png

The date inputs just update some text fields. For the file I didn't know what yours does so I just made up some operation. After modifying the input file data I've appended on the dates.

The macro takes the three fields and uses them as control parameters to update something else directly, in this case I just did a simple text input to illustrate but you can do something similar with your DB connection no problem.

Ben_H_1-1652278411289.png

I've attached the workflow for reference.

Regards,

Ben

cowannbell
8 - Asteroid

Okay, I think this is the way I need to go.  I kind of figure it would need to be a macro but the flow of a macro confuses me sometimes.

I'm getting a message that says There were no output files even though the file does save.  Any idea why?

So this is my app part.

cowannbell_0-1652291441086.png

This is my macro part

cowannbell_1-1652291520071.png

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @cowannbell 

In the interface designer there is a section that says "On Success - Show Results to User".

Ben_H_0-1652352779845.png

Make sure you have the output checked you want to see after the app runs here

The interface designer can be found under "View"

Ben_H_1-1652352913741.png

Regards,

Ben

Satyajit123
5 - Atom

@cowannbell  @DataNathI have a Analytics app In which there are dropdown for STATE & CITY,  when i selected State name there total 531 cities showing ( which may be other state's data). I want the STATE wise cities..

Please find attached screen shot of Analytics app config..

Labels