Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

An Alteryx App to tidy up messy country names

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

I was recently (yesterday) given a large data set containing more than 2,000 extremely messy manually typed countries which I needed to convert into standardized country names in order to analyse.

The issues range from:

• typos, e.g. "Chaina", "United State", "emirates A.U.",
  • non-English spellings, e.g. "estados unidos", "etats-uni", and, best of all,
  • locations not even being countries: "London", "TOULOUSE", "IDAHO", "North America los angeles".

After ranting a bit about drop-down lists being a good idea in future, I put together a simple Alteryx App that uses the Google Maps Geocoding API to return a tidy country name and ISO 2-letter code for every value provided.

1494427507154.png

It works better than I'd expected - only one of the above examples fooled it - is lightning quick, and generally a time-saver so I thought I'd share it in case anyone else would find it useful.

All you need to do is create an API key at https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/start

2 REPLIES 2
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Aletorresa
5 - Atom

Hi jamie; I am getting the following error; 

Aletorresa_1-1581104603409.png

Do you know what might be the problem ?

Labels