Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

AlteryxGUI.exe exception when processing 400+ fields file

Yongcan
8 - Asteroid

I'm comparing two files with 400+ fields using multiple fields formula.

FileA:

Field1,Field2...

Value1,Value2...

FileB:

Field1,Field2...

Value1,Value2...

Trying to the get result like below:

Field_Name,SAME,DIFF,EMPTY,SAME%,DIFF%,EMPTY%

Field1,X,Y,Z,a%,b%,c%

As lots fields involved, I'm editing XML directly. 

The source file is only with 300 records for testing, but I notice the PC become slow ,(from task manager , AlteryxGUI.exe using 9G memory on the 16 Core, 32G work station.) and later start getting below exceptions.

AlteryxGui.exe - Exception

Breakpoint A breakpoint has bean reached.
2019-03-03 10_08_20-Window Breakpoint.png

Alteryx Desinger X64

An out of memory exception happened, the application may not be able e to recover.

Do you wan to exit?

2019-03-03 11_20_49-Window OOM.png

I'm using Alteryx Desinger X64 version 2018.4.4.54346. How can i trouble shoot such issue or any diagnose log etc?

Also i notice the Multiple-Field Formula's message/input/output is showing nothing though there are data flowing.

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @Yongcan 

While Alteryx can work with large numbers of columns it does start to slow down when you reach ~1000 fields.  A lot of this has to do with the amount of metadata that Alteryx maintains about the datasets.  You might want to consider transposing your data to bring it all into a single column and using a single formula tool.

WF.pngThis has the added benefits of 1. providing the output in field order and 2.  Reducing the complexity of the overall workflow by having a formula tool that acts on a single column as opposed to a very large multi field formula.

I would still open a ticket with Alteryx support, since you shouldn't be getting the error message in the first place 

Dan 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Yongcan ,

I'm in agreement with @danilang .  I would most definitely transpose the data.  I might alter the formula as:

[X] = [Y]

That will provide True or False without the IF statement (make the data type = Bool).  ![SAME] works well for the DIFF field.  I also might use something like:

IsEmpty(X) or IsEmpty(Y)

For the empty comparison.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Yongcan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I believe this is the best practice for such case. I will try this solution later.

1st try, I implemented in urgly way. I was using "Multiple-Field Formula" with all fields name in the formula, that's cause the huge workflow flow file as it store metadata of each fields.

My second solution was use 400+ formula to compare the field. the code is similar and won't cause huge workflow file and get result i want.

Labels