community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Alteryx workflow runs too long, won't pull. SQL Developer pulls within seconds

Asteroid

I have a query that I've limited to two days of data.  It has 6 joins, 8 where/and clauses, 32 columns to bring in.  Using In-Database.

Oracle SQL Developer pulls it in 2-5 seconds.

Alteryx has been running for 30 mins.

The original query was for a month, SQL took less than a minute.  I let Alteryx run for 14 hours, it pulled 219gb and wasn't done.

Normally Alteryx runs circles around SQL.  What could possibly be the issue?

Nebula
Nebula

@Number4

Are you using In-DB Tools? If not, Alteryx has to read all the data  and perform the joins/ filters/etc in memory/swap disk.

Dan

Asteroid

I had the query in one SQL statement using the Connect In-Database tool, then exporting to a file.  Never got to the file.

I broke the one Connect In-DB into multiple, so each table I'm hitting has it's own Connect In-DB and "filters."

The five or so In-DB tools ran in 18 minutes.

I then began joining the Connect In-DB tools in a fashion to limit the data being pulled (using the In-DB Join tool) and it's choking again.

Asteroid

Hey Number4,

What is the COUNT(*) for the query you're running?

Thanks,
Ken

Asteroid

I believe I'd mentioned that I could run each table query by itself.  I saved the outputs to yxdb files.

I then input these files and did a join per.  Took just over 2 mins. for the first 6 joins, then 13 for the last one.

Here are the records read per input.

Resulting in 1,357,998,746 records.

So I can get it to run, but no In-Database.  And I have to break the six inputs into two sets, 1-5, then 6.

Labels