Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx won't work while PC is locked

superman64232
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, everyone! 

I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm running Alteryx Designer 11.7. I've written macros to run certain tasks at 4am each morning, pulling raw data, saving files, and running Alteryx flows.

The problem is that my company WILL NOT allow a machine to remain unlocked, and Alteryx doesn't seem to want to run a workflow with the PC locked. I'll get in in the morning, and log into my machine, and there's Alteryx ready to run on my screen, but it should have run hours ago.

I can't find a way to unlock the PC using Task Scheduler, and my macro creator doesn't have the ability to unlock the PC, just wake it up.

Again, all my other stuff runs just fine, and Alteryx opens to the correct flows, but it will not run. 

Any ideas? Any other information you need?

9 REPLIES 9
superman64232
6 - Meteoroid

Just to clarify, I'm asking if anybody knows of any settings in Alteryx that will allow it to run, or if they have any other workarounds they can suggest.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
What licensing do you have? Do you have a scheduler license?
superman64232
6 - Meteoroid

I don't believe so, no. Here's what I have licensed. 

Capture.JPG

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Without the correct license, specifically sounds like your after scheduler in this instance, it is not possible to run workflows via a command where or other alternative macro type programmes.

Ben
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Which would explain why it opens but doesn't allow you to hit run.
superman64232
6 - Meteoroid

Well, that's not what I wanted to hear at all. :)

Ah well. Thanks for the knowledge. I'll see if I can't persuade my company to increase my license. 

AW25
7 - Meteor

One possible way, while not ideal, is with AutoHotKey. It's essentially an open source application designed to automate tasks by simulating mouse and keyboard clicks. You might be able to jimmyrig something out of it. I just did a quick Google search and someone posted a batch file that can be used to lock your computer so your AutoHotKey scripts can still run in the background.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Have you tried that with Alteryx though? I'm pretty sure it somehow blocks all software along those lines, and it's also going to be against the license agreement too.
AW25
7 - Meteor

I haven't tried it out with Alteryx so you could be right!

Labels