Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx won't recognize strike-through data in cell from Excel

Verenala4
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

This might be a random question but I will try anyways:

I am working with an Excel file that has one column with dates. Basically, my team uses it to keep track of a series of dates where the most current date will be on top and the history of "old dates" will be below (same cell) but with strikethrough (see picture below). 

Strikethrough.PNG

So the dates are in ONE cell (separated on individual lines) and when I try to import it, alteryx just spits out "Null" for those that have more than one date in the cell.

Is there a way for Alteryx to recognize this data (and not lose it)? I need this field to for a formula but they also want to keep the "date history" in the output.

I tried data cleaning, text to column, etc but nothing has worked so far.

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you,

V

11 REPLIES 11
Verenala4
8 - Asteroid

Hi @estherb47 !

Thank you very much for your reply! It finally worked 🙂 !! (Also thank you to @geraldo for the initial idea). I have no idea why it didn't work yesterday but when I redid it today with the tile tool, it finally worked.

Now I have one last question about the unioning of the "historic" data. When I concatenate it into one "cell" in Alteryx, it separates it with a comma ",". Is there a way to separate the dates with a tab instead (meaning having them on individual lines within one cell)?

Thank you,

Verena

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
My guess is the tool that’s doing the concatenation has a comma. In both the Summarize and Crosstab tools, this is towards the bottom.

I’m unsure how to code a tab as a concatenation though. Tab is generally \t, but that works for separating, not combining.

Wonder if you could use a formula tool and replace the comma with an Ascii equivalent of a tab (if there is one)

Sorry, I’m surmising here as I’m not on my computer.

Cheers,
Esther
Labels