Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx v Power BI

SarahJ1
7 - Meteor

We are using Alteryx and currently using Qlikv as a visualisation tool.

We are being told that Power BI gives the same data extract, transform, load and analytic options as Alteryx and I am not convinced!

Has anyone else been faced with this debate and does anyone have a good list of why they are wrong....or right?!

Thanks

Sarah

3 REPLIES 3
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SarahJ1 

As far as I know, Alteryx and Power BI have completely distinct purposes.

Power BI is more of a data visualization tool, which I'm sure does not hold the same capabilites as Alteryx. 

I think it's like comparing apples and bananas. You could compare Qlik and Power BI, that would be more logic.

Cheers,

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @SarahJ1,

agree with @Thableaus, Alteryx and PowerBI serve different purposes. The two are complementary pieces of technology, rather than competing.

Some more info from Alteryx here: https://www.alteryx.com/partners/technology-partners/microsoft and from Microsoft here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/the-alteryx-starter-kit-for-microsoft/ on the technology partnership.

PowerBI is best suited for producing interactive dashboards. Alteryx will allow you to build visual workflows to manipulate your data from multiple sources and develop advanced analytics models, so that it's easier, quicker and faster to build dashboards in PowerBI.

Hope it makes sense!

Giuseppe

ahpitre
5 - Atom

Power BI can do some of the things that Alteryx does (like aggregating, cleaning, manipulating data, creating a data model, etc.), but it is limited as it is mostly a Visualization Tool. Microsoft has created Power Flow which is a cloud based Workflow app/framework and integrates into Power BI. Power Flow is a direct competitor to Alteryx that has the advantage that you can create and edit your workflow within Power BI w/o having to use separate tools, servers, credentials, etc. If a company already has a big investment in Alteryx I wouldn't recommend changing it. For companies considering Alteryx as a workflow solution and who also have a heavy investment in Power BI than Power Flow could be a better alternative/solution.

Labels