Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx to open excel file, refresh all tabs and then close the file

Raj_Singh1
9 - Comet

I am using an Alteryx macro to write new data into multiple excel files every week. on each file there  are other tabs which uses this data.

Is there a way, after exporting data, other tabs are refreshed ?

or a way that after data is exported, file is opened by some command and refreshes all the tab linked to this  and then Alteryx closes the file?

4 REPLIES 4
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Raj_Singh1,

I would just set the Excel settings to "refresh when open". As soon as someone will open it, all the graphs and pivot tables refresh. You could probably also do this using the Run-Command, but it isn't necessary when it's guaranteed that they refresh as soon as they are opened.

Best

Alex

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Raj_Singh1 

If @grossal's auto-refresh solution isn't enough, i.e. you have other applications or workflows that need to read the refreshed data before the file is opened, check out this post that show how to invoke an Excel Macro from Alteryx

Dan

JoeChia
7 - Meteor

Forgive me.  I clicked on the post link and this is not really clear.  I am not even sure if it will do what I need.

This is what I have.

I built a workflow that then exports data to an excel file.

This same file processes some calculations then is input back into the same workflow.

What I have found is that I need to manually open the file, calculate, and then save for the changes to flow back into the model.

Is there some way for Alteryx to open the file for me, calculate, and save without me doing anything?  Is this even possible?

Please advise.

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

I have the same requirement. Is there any solution yet?

Labels