Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx having trouble reading an XML file that is readable by Excel

lucasyliu
5 - Atom

Alteryx seems having trouble reading an XML file where it opens fine in Excel. See attached.

Can anyone enlighten me?

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I was able to pull the data in the Excel file by specifying that I wanted the XML Child Element Name "Data". Alteryx is going to allow you to read in ALL of the XML, not just the data fields that you are seeing in Excel, so it will also include things like styling, fonts, etc. 

XML.png

benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @lucasyliu ,

How was this xml file created ?  

This works : Open this xml  file in excel and save  as  'xlsx'   and then Alteryx can read xlsx  file  .

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I mocked up a quick example of pulling this data out. Take a look at the attached workflow. There may be a more elegant solution but this is quick and gets the job done. 

xml parse 1.png

XML Parse 2.png

  

lucasyliu
5 - Atom

Excellent, thanks so much for the quick turnaround!

lucasyliu
5 - Atom

Quick followup, I ran into another problem using actual data, where there is a header containing string "&" symbol. What is the proper way to handle XML with "&" symbol in Alteryx? Sample data attached.

clipboard_image_1.png                clipboard_image_4.png

I checked the "Ignore XML Errors and Continue" box to bypass the error, the result is the header "ItemA&E" is missing the "&E" portion.

clipboard_image_2.png                    clipboard_image_3.png

Labels