Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx freezes when adding new tools to the canvas

Rosemburg
6 - Meteoroid

I've built a pretty long workflow (around 1000 tools) and, as a result, everytime I need to add a new tool to the canvas, Alteryx freezes and nothing is clickable for 20 to 30 seconds. Is there a way to optimize it or the only solution is to break up the flow and run each one of the modules separately?

Attached is the overview of the flow.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Rosemburg,

That's a lot of stuff going on in your workflow.  The freezing is probably caused because each time you add a tool, the engine actually runs an iteration of the workflow for configuration purposes.  In your user settings there is an option to disable that function:

Options
-> User Settings
-->Edit User Settings
--->Advanced
[] Disable Auto Configure
  • Disable Auto Configure: Select this option to manually configure tools in a workflow. With this option selected, press the F5 key to manually refresh tool configurations. This option may optimize performance.

Now for the question about breaking up the flow.  If you do break up the flow, then you may want to use a CReW macro, Runner. This will allow you to put the pieces back together again.  In the picture it looks like there is one long process that creates some outputs and then goes on to four parallel paths (the bottom two paths seem independent of the initial process, but are connected at the very end).  If I'm reading that correctly, then the bottom processes could be part of a different workflow and a single input data from that workflow could be logically separated.  Another point might be where it looks to end the initial single stream of work (with many outputs).

It is very hard to tell by looking at the PNG file.

Just a few suggestions,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Rosemburg

Only addition to Mark's suggestion below is that if you're not able to use the CREW macros internally in your company due to constraints on downloads - you can achieve the same compartmentalization that Mark is talking about by breaking them down into smaller sub-macros.

What we try to do internally is to break down flows into component flows which can each be described as doing one thing.   :-) I know that's a big vague:

So for example

- say you're trying to load data from 5 different sources, and each requires different prep & cleaning.   We would put each of these into a sub-macro

- Then once you've cleaned the data you want to enrich it by looking up some additional values from a reference-data table.    That could be a sub-macro

- Then you want to send out a bunch of automated reports to folks - again - into a sub-macro

- Finally you want to save this to a database - you may even put this into a sub-macro.

This cleans up your top-level canvas so that it has far less going on, and is easier to understand and forces everyone in the team to think in a component-based way of thinking which makes errors easier to fix.

If you can't get the crew macros - no sweat, you can still do this with batch macros.   these are the only kind of macros that force Alterxy to operate in series without zooming ahead:

- Key thing you need to know is that batch macros need a control parameter - that can be any text-input source that you mock up with just 1 row

- Batch macros need macro input and output so that you can chain them together

Hope this gives you some options - making canvasses cleaner by breaking into components is a good practice to adopt even if not for the speed, just 'cause it makes maintenance and error-detection and fixing much easier.

cheers

Sean

Rosemburg
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @MarqueeCrew and @SeanAdams,

Disabling Auto Configure kind of helped, but the freezes persisted. I've downloaded the crew macros and I'm currently breaking up the module - no enterprise restrictions there. I`m gonna also start fiddling with batch macros. I've never used them, but they could surely shorten the workflow in some redundant parts.

Thank you again for your prompt messages,

Best regards,

Rosemburg.

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

@Rosemburg

I would also suggest upgrading to the latest release of Alteryx - 11.0.6.28907   on downloads.alteryx.com

There was a known bug/issue with the initial 11.0 release with the behavior you mentioned. I had the same thing happen in brand new workflows with just a few tools.  I can't vouch for the latest release as I went back to 10.6 and haven't yet tried it - but it is supposed to address the issue.

Cheers,

Bob

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's the latest training course on Batch Macros.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Live-Training/Live-Training-Build-Your-First-Batch-Macro/m-p/67022#...

Let me know if you need any help getting started with building sub-processes in this way - happy to mock something up for you - this has been one of our most important realizations and ways of working as a large BI team, since without this we were ending up with massive sprawling macros.

Rosemburg
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the reply,

I'll update my alteryx version and let you know if it helped!

Best regards,

Rosemburg,

Rosemburg
6 - Meteoroid

@SeanAdams,

Thanks for the help,

This morning I've finished my first batch macro, I think it worked great,

I'll check the link you sent,

Best regards,

Rosemburg.

Rosemburg
6 - Meteoroid

@Bob_Blackey,

Just updated my alteryx. The freezes are gone! Top notch tip! Also, the select tool now offers the possibility to use commas as decimal separator - really really really useful!

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Rosemburg.

Labels