Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx freezes randomly with simple workflow

darindavis
6 - Meteoroid

I'm new to Alteryx, testing with the 14-day trial.  At a half-day workshop I attended last week, I downloaded Alteryx v2018.1.3.42973 and followed along with two simple exercises.  Repeatedly and randomly, when I would click on something, Alteryx would freeze and take 1-2 minutes to recover.  I'm trying to build a simple workflow on my own now and it continues to freeze.

I have the x64 version of Alteryx installed on my Dell 7510 laptop, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7 @ 2.7GHz, 32GB RAM.

Does Alteryx have to be installed / run with admin privileges?

What am I missing that results in these freezes?

Thanks,
Darin

21 REPLIES 21
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@darindavis

The most likely scenario is that these freezes are a result of the Auto Configiration/Initialization feature. This feature essentially runs a 0 records through the tools every time something is changes so downstream tools reflect changes made while working.

To see if this is the issue, go to Options>User Settings>Edit User Settings>Advanced and check the box to "Disable Auto Configure". When this is disabled, fields will not automatically be populated in newly connected tools, so you'll need to run the module or manually refresh (F5) when modifying tools. 

It's also a good idea to keep workflows and data as lean as possible for the best performance. Here's a great post with tips on workflow efficiency:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Tips-amp-Tricks-2016-Workflow-Optimization/t...

darindavis
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, Charlie. Unfortunately, disabling auto configure had no effect.  Also, I reviewed the link for workflow efficiency tips, but the interface described in that article is different than what I have.  For example, I can't find "Workflow > Runtime > Disable All Browse Tools" or "Alteryx > Options > Advanced Options > System Settings"  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @darindavis,

There is a known issue with 2018.1.3 which was resolved in 2018.1.4, due to a background licensing check being slightly overzealous when it's not able to reach the licensing server, you may potentially see some substantial lag-time on this particular version when clicking on or off tools.

As you're on a trial and won't be able to access our full version downloads portal yet, I'll be private messaging you shortly with a direct link to the 2018.1.4 installer which should hopefully clear it up for you!

Thanks!

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
darindavis
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, Mike!  That seems to have resolved the issue.

tomaszruszuk
5 - Atom

Hi @MikeSp

I'm facing the exact same issue. Could you please PM me the link to 2018.1.4 as well?

Thanks,

Tomasz

Inactive User
Not applicable

We have downloaded the Alteryx trial as a team and it is incredibly slow across a range of laptops and desktops with correct specs.

We are using the 2018.1.3 trial from your website. Please can you also forward the link for the 2018.1.4 version so I can share among my team?

Many thanks

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Inactive User,

I've just sent you a PM containing download information.  Don't hesitate to reach out to us at support@alteryx.com if you need any further assistance. 

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
kosgei
5 - Atom

This issue whereby Alteryx repeatedly freezes still persist on version x64 2018.2.5.48994. It's installed in an environment that is not connected to the internet.

Could you please share your thoughts on it?

Thank you.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

+1

same issue with my Alteryx as well... very lousy user experience, gotta be fixed quickly

Labels