Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx flow running stops at 80%

kirstenxu
5 - Atom

Dear all,

I am having troubles with Alteryx not completing my flow, but rather stopping at the last icon at 80% and not moving much further, or movign very very slowly (1% in 30min).

The input data is large, but not so large that it should be that slow. Anyone can help me out here - what am I doing wrong?

Best,

Kirsten

5 REPLIES 5
chadanaber
7 - Meteor

Are you outputting to a database at any point?  If so, are you using a bulk method for inserting into the database, or using the standard drivers?  If you are using standard drivers, that can slow down the process significantly.

kirstenxu
5 - Atom

I am ot outputting to any database, and I have done similar flows before - it is a fairly simple join tool, but somehow it just runs extremely extremey slow.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @kirstenxu

Without a sample data set I can't definitively say what's causing the slow-down, but @MarqueeCrew has posted in a few different places that one of the biggest differences between Join and Find/Replace tools is that Join first has to sort; but Find/Replace does an in-place replace without sorting first.

Based on his testing, for very large unsorted data sets, find/replace is faster, so it may be worth trying that.

The other things you can do are:

• use a select tool to strip out all the data you don't need before the join - that significantly reduces the memory footprint, and increases the speed
  • Use an auto-field tool to make the types as small as possible - again, smaller data = faster
  • Finally, if the FindReplace method doesn't speed you up, you can try pre-sorting the data and see if this makes it quicker.

You can find one of Mark's posts on Join vs. Find/Replace here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Inspire-2017-Buzz/Inspire-Tips-amp-Tricks-Calling-out-our-users-to-...

Hopefully this helps - if so, would you mind marking this as solved - if not, feel free to reply with some mocked-up test data in an alteryx flow, and we can work together as a community to get you to a solution!

DanHall
5 - Atom

Were you able to find a solution to your issue?  We've run into a similar issue this week, where an existing workflow writing to a TDE output with a normal run time around 45 minutes total began clocking in the 2-4 hour range.  The majority of the process time is tied to the writing of the TDE output once it is >80% complete.  As I write this, my TDE has gone from 94% an hour ago to 97%.  The truly baffling part is that the task manager shows the CPU idle process in the 70-97% range and the Tableau Data Engine running in the mid to high 20% range.

j_acon
9 - Comet

Check you are not joining null values, I have seen null joins that make the workflow go on forever.

Labels