Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx database schema

Tripti_Lal
8 - Asteroid

Hi community,

I want to input four alteryx databse( two from alteryx, one from mongodb and one from salesforce) together using '*' character in input tool connection. Now, the 4 databases have same columns but in different order and thus, different schema and only first one was inputted, the rest were skipped.

I want to alter the fields' order so that they all have same schema and I can input them all together using '*' character.

How can I do that? Kindly help! Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

It sounds like they are all different file TYPES, in which case you can't use one input tool with the asterisk.  Some screen shots might help.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Tripti_Lal 
With the Batch Macro and Dynamic Rename, we should be able to do the trick.

The sample is using Alteryx datbase, but it should apply if the data is defferent as well.

The macro is reading the full path of the data file.

Please download the zip file and configure the input accordingly.

1117_Tripti_Lal-1.PNG1117_Tripti_Lal-2.PNG

Tripti_Lal
8 - Asteroid

@mbarone Thanks for the reply,

I am attaching the four databases that I am trying to input. 

Kindly let me know where I am going wrong in inputting them all together.

Tripti_Lal
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Qiu 

Thanks for your comprehensive solution.

I am still a beginner and have to learn about macros, but would definitely try this out once I am through with macro modules.

I have also attached the 4 databases I am referring to for further exploration.

If there is any other method, kindly let me know.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Based on the fact that these are separate individual YXDBs, and they have different schema, the only way to accomplish what you want is to use a batch macro.  You would come up with a list of your YXDBs using the Directory tool.

Then you'd feed that list into a batch macro.  The batch macro would take each file, give the columns standard names (either based on position, or searching for familiar terms and renaming, etc.), and then output the stacked data from the batch macro into your workflow.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Tripti_Lal 
By any chances, you forget the attachment?

I am happy to be any help since this is a new direction for me as well.

I gave aother thought before I sleep, if the Directory Tool may not work for different database files, do you accept to put 4 file in the Cavas, kinda brutal thought.

Tripti_Lal
8 - Asteroid

@mbarone 

Okay, thanks a lot! I have got a direction now, I will surely work on this.

Thanks a lot again!

Labels