Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx crash on macro

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hey Alteryx Community,

I created my first macro for a procedure that I use in most of my flows. The macro runs fine however whenever I include it in a workflow and press on the "A" arrow to see the output results pane Alteryx crashes. It still shows me the results for 1 or 2 seconds and I can confirm that the output is what is expected however Alteryx 100% crashes after a few seconds.

Im using Alteryx Admin Designer version 2019-4-8-2207

Attached is the macro and an example workflow using the macro.

Thanks in advance!

Charel

3 REPLIES 3
Blake
12 - Quasar

Hi @Inactive User 

I downloaded and ran your macro without any issues. I also added Browse tools after the outputs. In the past, I've seen macros have an issue running if there are no tools downstream from the macro. The easiest way to do this is to right click on the macro and select "add all browses" or click on the tool and hit "ctrl"+"shift"+"B". 

Blake_1-1586351408321.png

I have one other tip for sharing work flows and macros with others. When you are going to send a workflow that contains input data or a macro, you can package the assets together as a .yxzp file so that you don't have to send them as separate files. You can do this by going to options -> export workflow to create the package. There is a great knowledge base article with more information here : https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Export-Workflows-with-Attachments-Assets/ta-p/35863 

I have shared a .yxzp (workflow package) with your workflow and macro.

Thanks, let me know if the suggestion in the first paragraph stops your macro from crashing. 

Blake

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hey Blake,

Thank you for the quick answer! I tried running the workflow again with all browse tools as recommended and while I was able to view the results in the browse results pane, clicking on the A results pane still resulted in a crash, but this is a nice workaround. I tried opening your workflow but unfortunately I get an error as your flow has been made on a more recent version of Alteryx.

I forgot to mention that I tried running it on two different machines Alteryx was crashing in both cases, but i guess you being able to successfully view the results confirms that the problem is on my end.

Thank you for the recommendation, indeed some of the outputs do not need any tools afterwards and are just used for validation, in the future Ill add browse tools. I was not aware that you bundle workflows and its data & macro, thank you I will use this in the future!

Charel

Blake
12 - Quasar

Hi Charel,

You're welcome! You clearly mentioned you were working with 2019, sorry for sending a 2020 version package. Attached is a version that should work on  your machine. 

Hopefully others from the community will come by and have additional suggestions on what is going wrong. Either way, I hope you get it fixed! 

Blake

Labels