Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx- calculating off the excel sheet

DanielGGreenbaum
7 - Meteor

Good evening, 

I created an excel sheet with a long list of rules on it. I only need to enter a few dates and then the calculations will automatically run and get me the answer I need for it. 

I would like to bring the excel document into alteryx, enter the dates into alteryx, and then have the excel formulas run appropriately. Is there a way to do so?

Each row has a slightly different rule so I am relying on excel to make my life a lot easier. Alternatively, I would have to create dozens of new formulas on alteryx and it just wouldn't work. 

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@DanielGGreenbaum 

Interface Tool can allow you to input data and get the result.

For the formula part, it really depends on the complexity of your case.

A few sample could help us to understand better maybe.

DanielGGreenbaum
7 - Meteor

Hello Qiu, 

I created a spreadsheet where it lists different people by name, country of origin and date of birth and when they turned 12,15, 18, and when they played their first round of golf. Each country has a different rule as to the age of maturity which is when the individual turns a certain age (18, 15, then 12) or when they play their first round of golf. 

I can put all the rules in the spreadsheet and then i just want to be able to fill in the date of birth, name and date of first round and let the program compute the formulas accordingly. 

DanielGGreenbaum
7 - Meteor

@Qiu - I dont see the interface tool as an option on my alteryx. 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @DanielGGreenbaum 

One way to do what you say is to write to a hidden sheet in Excel - and then refer to this so that all of your existing formulae work.

You can have the user enter the dates into Date Interface tools, and then write this back to the Excel.

Over time - you may find that moving your formuae out of Excel and into Alteryx makes them easier to maintain, but I get the point that you're looking for a solution to where you are right now.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@DanielGGreenbaum 
I think I might get what you need here.

We might want to consider the Dynamic Replace Tool.

CaptureA4.PNG

nikitapuniani
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am trying to something similar

I have created a mapping file and it calculation for each line. I want alteryx to use the excel file, assign variables to all the inputs and use the math calculation to drive the results. Were you able to figure out how to do this?

thanks!

Labels