Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx and Windows Event Logs

Sachin1
6 - Meteoroid

Is it possible such that if a workflow fails it gets logged into Windows event logs or Event viewer.

10 REPLIES 10
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Sachin1 Are you referencing the server Alteryx or Designer Alteryx on your local machine (or both)? While nothing is going to the event viewer, there are engine logs that you can parse. This would be a system setting on the server or available as a user setting on the local machine. It would spit out 1 log file per workflow. You would then need to create a process to grab those logs and check for errors.

Sachin1
6 - Meteoroid

I have found the folder where all the Engine logs are present but it has only one file with GUI temp lock of size 0 KB. Can anyone help me with the process to grab it so that i can track the workflow failure and generate alert based on that. I dont want to use the send email facility already provided in the Alteryx designer as I have 100s of workflow and cannot manually add the configuration to each workflow. 

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Wherever the below directory points to in your System Settings will be where you find the Workflow Run Logs.

System_Settings_-_Logs.png

Raghu_s
8 - Asteroid

@KaneG hello! Where does logs gets collected for non Admin version? I don't see the option for system settings as provided above? Would like to know if its getting captured somewhere in the setup folder where I can take a look. 

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Edit: Much easier solution provided in the answer below and so mine hidden...

Spoiler

As you don't have the ability to change that directory in the Non-Admin version, it is most likely not set by default. The logging information would be stored in RuntimeSettings.xml, by default in the %ProgramData% directory, I'm not sure if that exists on the non-admin version though... If you can find RuntimeSettings.xml under C:\ProgramData\Alteryx or C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx, then try putting the directory straight into the Engine child (LogFilePath):

<Engine>

<DefaultTempFilePath>C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine</DefaultTempFilePath>
		<LogFilePath>C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Logs</LogFilePath>
		<NumThreads>5</NumThreads>
		<PackageStagingPath>C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\Staging</PackageStagingPath>
		<SortJoinMemory>4064</SortJoinMemory>
	</Engine>

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Raghu_s,

Not to step on @KaneG's feet here, as his solution should definitely work without issues, but there's one other method that may be a little bit easier to implement for a non-admin version.

If you open up your user settings (Options -> User Settings -> Edit User Settings) on the "Defaults" tab there's an option to override system settings. There, you can set a logging directory (default is blank - no logging) that will log the Engine messages.

2018-07-24_15-56-04.png

Do note that this will only affect workflows run from this particular copy of Alteryx Designer and this particular user account. Since you're running a non-admin version, I would also assume you're not running Alteryx Designer with Scheduler (Desktop Automation) or Alteryx Server and this should handle the need without having to go in and modify XML files. Kane's modification above would work across the board for all users and installations, however!

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Much better @MikeSp...

Raghu_s
8 - Asteroid

Thanks and works as expected. 

rossjustin
6 - Meteoroid

@MikeSp @KaneG How can i get this to work on a scheduled workkflow from the server? We do not have access to the prod server, we can only promote our workflows there. Trying to get a run log for each run sent to location and not an event email.

Labels