Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx & Tableau concurrently on a PC, is it possible, can you output to Tableau Online?

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I like to run Tableau in real-time to see and troubleshoot my Alteryx workflow. 

It helps me to identify and troubleshoot problems efficiently (i.e., it saves time).

I find this difficult to do since switching from a Mac to a PC. 

My situation...

1. I use to run Alteryx on a Mac using Parallels.  I would run Alteryx on the VM and Tableau on the Mac side.  This allowed me to use both programs simultaneously without having to shut down Tableau to refresh my Alteryx workflow and TDE output. 
  2. I now run Alteryx and Tableau on a dedicated PC.  I can no longer run both concurrently while refreshing my Alteryx workflow and TDE output.  I have to close and re-open Tableau in order to refresh the Alteryx TDE output.  This is highly inefficient and time consuming.
  3. I can somewhat replicate #1 by using Alteryx on the PC and Tableau on the Mac.  This allows me to run both concurrently without having to shut Tableau down to refresh the Alteryx TDE output, but it forces me to use two physical computers simultaneously. 

In all 3 cases, the Alteryx and Tableau are reading and writing to the same shared file on a network drive.

Are there any single PC environment solutions? 

Is there some workaround?  Could Alteryx output the TDE to Tableau Online (not Server) and I then point my Tableau dashboard to the TDE uploaded to Tableau Online?  Would this allow me to work concurrently in one environment?  If so, are there any Alteryx tools that allow you to output to Tableau Online?

2 REPLIES 2
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @hellyars 

What you need is absolutely possible.

BTW, the Tableau Output Tool allows you to publish to any Tableau Server (included Online). 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Tableau-Output-Tool/ta-p/877902

Just out of curiosity... Actually you use TDE files or is a generic denomination for Tableau extracts? Hyper files are way better

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@Aguisande  Thank you.  I started playing with the new Tableau Output Tool.  Easy to connect to Tableau on-online.  A little more difficult to get it to recognize TDS files, but I am slowing working through it.  I am specifically trying to figure out if you can create a new extract that contains multiple tables and publish to Online. 

I was not aware of the new .hyper extracts until I started reading about the New Tableau Output tool.  I am making the switch. 

Labels