Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Workflow - Vlookup differing values

gavinloi
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I am stuck with a situation whereby i would need to vlookup a value from excel A and get another value from excel B. I tried using the find and replace tool but was only able to get a null response.  Example would be that in excel A "Tan Amos" and "Lee Jane", however in excel B would be "Chan Amos" and "Tan Jane". Would it be possible to create a column to show the results?

Excel A

gavinloi_2-1633696231632.png

Excel B

gavinloi_3-1633696293379.png

Results 

gavinloi_4-1633696520989.png

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

So you're matching on Name and looking for non-matching surnames?  This will do it:

Christina_Hurrell_0-1633697143434.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @gavinloi 

Here is another way logic is nearly same except I am using join tool.

atcodedog05_1-1633699084038.png

Hope this helps : )

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

@atcodedog05 I'm sure there was one earlier where you used find and replace and I used join!  There's really never only one solution.  I chose find and replace this time to avoid having to use a union if there are non-matching values.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Christina_H 

Actually I had a different thought on this what if a name has multiple surnames Find & Replace like vlookup always takes only the first occurrence. Just had a different thought so added a possibility 😅

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

@atcodedog05 yes, I didn't think of that one, but between us we've provided a range of options!

@gavinloi either of our solutions works on your test data. Which one is best for you depends on your full data. If there could be both duplicates and missing names you'll need a join tool with s union after it.

Labels