Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Workflow Scheduler

Kirkitu
5 - Atom

Hi,

I want to schedule my workflow which is taking input from excel saved on my system. I am having licence also.

But when I schedule the workflow,after run the status is complete but getting below error-

Tool #1 Unable to open file for read: C:\...xlsx Error Opening file: C...xlsx: Access is denied.  (5)

Any help on this is much appreciated!!..

Thanks in advance..

10 REPLIES 10
Garf
6 - Meteoroid

Might be an obvious one but have you made sure the file isn't already by someone else?

Also, try setting the workflow to run as you in options when publishing

Kirkitu
5 - Atom

I am having Designer license only.. May be this is the case.. Because it is working fine when running manually.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Make sure your Run As settings are up to date.

Options --> Advanced Options --> System Settings --> (Click Next until you see "Run the Worker As a Different User?") enter your credentials on that screen then keep clicking "Next" until it turns to "Finish".

fharper
12 - Quasar

was this resolved?

If not one thing to consider is the what ID is running it?  Is the scheduler you mention the Alteryx Server Scheduler or a standalone designer with Scheduler option?  what is the ID used on that scheduler.  if the file is on "My Own system" you local hard drive then typically most people do not share their local drives to others including the ID running the scheduler.  solution is to put the file to be processed in a folder in a shared location and update the flow to point at the new location which the "production" or "operations" ID can access. 

I do not use the Server version of Alteryx but I do run a separate designer license with Scheduler option to automate our work.  In that scenario I set up a "production" ID or operational account, various places call it various things.  That ID like any other is given access rights to any DBs and folders where I have modules, data and or want to write output to.  We do not share local drives and have a policy against storing permanent data on local drives for security reasons.  the local hard drive is mainly used for software and temp space, Alteryx can eat up temps space on the drive if you run heavy jobs eating lots of data and you run many flows at once so it is good just for that not to write permanent outputs to local drives and eat up the available space for temp files.

Every so often a newbie builds a flow writing or reading from their local drive and then schedules it to run on our production account but forgets to "productionize" and retarget to shared network storage they should have been using to start with.  That issue is a error that sounds like your error.  The account running the module, on the production system, doesn't have access to an individual's local hard drive on their laptop.

razzy
8 - Asteroid

Hi, i am following this string, i am scheduling from a shared drive and always have errors of not being able to access the drive when the scheduler runs, so i am trying to use your option to update the workflow, i entered all the requirements but i got an error again that "USER COULD NOT BE VALIDATED".

fharper
12 - Quasar

Are you using the Scheduler on the Alteryx Server product or the Scheduler/API option on a designer only license? The Server allows you to run under your credentials or another set of credentials per some of the earlier thread.  The Scheduler/API option on a designer doesn't really support that, it is going to run what you tell it where you tell it it is under the credentials that are signed into the designer.

In either case any references to files will work provided that the Userid and or any DB credentials you have specified in your connections, managed or explicit, are authorized to access that location/connection. 

1. Scenario where you are using the Server product
    1. If a file is on a local drive on your/someones laptop, for example, the machine would need to be turned on, connected to the same network as the Server and have shared their drive to the Userid seeking to run the flow.  The server typically is executing on a service account credential.  So there are settings to tell the server to run the job under your credentials and in that case, if you are connected and cinfigured to run as a worker for the server, etc. then it should work I think...I am kind of new to the Server so someone else may expand on this.
    2. If you did not (A) configure your machine as a worker and or (B) defined your hard drive as a network drive to the server and shared it...then you flow will die because it can't access the file.
    3. Easiest solution is to move the file or if another flow creates it make sure it is written to a drive location the server and its credentials have access to.  then you don't need to have your laptop on and connected and shared and no worker config issues..etc.
  2. Scenario where you are using Scheduler/API option on a designer.  The designer is standalone so there is no server/worker per se. 
    1. If the machine running the Scheduler/API option on a designer only is your own then there should be no issue accessing files on your hard drive.
    2. If the machine running the Scheduler/API option on a designer only is NOT your own then you have the same issue of accessing a normally unavailable and restricted drive by another machine.  suggest option 1.3 above again.

More than this I can't offer as your comments are open to interpretation....example

1.  "i am scheduling from a shared drive"...you don't schedule from a drive...shared or otherwise.  you schedule from the Alteryx scheduler system which is basically a clone of the windows task scheduler functionality.
  2. "USER COULD NOT BE VALIDATED", this sounds like you may not have access to the scheduler option on a designer only system or you don't have server permission on an Alteryx Server Scheduler system.

I don't know your environment specifically and so can't speak definitively to your situation beyond the general assistance above.

fharper
12 - Quasar

another possibility is you have designer only but do not have the Server product or the Scheduler/API add-on license for designer only install but you see the "Schedule Workflow" in the "Options" drop down and are trying to use it and get not authorized.

razzy
8 - Asteroid

I don't get the detailing of your reply, but thanks for responding

razzy
8 - Asteroid

I do have the Scheduler/API add-on license i am working with it fine on my own local machine, i only have the problem when i try to schedule a workflow from a remote drive.

Labels