Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Scheduler (My Computer)

The_Fray
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am with a mid sized organization where it doesn't make sense at this time to have a fully dedicated Alteryx Server; however, we are still trying to do some automation scheduling with an Alteryx Designer + Scheduler Licence. I have a few questions about how this local scheduler works.

(1) I understand the PC needs to be on - and not asleep or shut off, but does it open Alteryx everytime a scheduled workflow is run? or does it happen in the background? So I wouldn't even notice it running even if I was working on building another workflow or doing something completely different like answering emails?

(2) We have shared folders at our organization that I can access directly through my local file explorer. Many of my workflows are saved in these shared folders and many of the datasets used are also on these shared folders. Would I still be able to schedule these workflows with the scheduler on my local device as long as my PC is on? Or would I need to move these workflows (not the data) to a folder that is exclusively on my computer (My Documents)?

(3) How would I maintain my schedules if I get a new PC and sign into Alteryx with my licence on that new device. Would I have to re-create each schedule?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.    

2 REPLIES 2
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @The_Fray 

Now I can't access the automation add-on installed designer, but I'll tell you what I remember.

First, you can read the knowledge base.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Configure-Desktop-with-Scheduler/ta...

A1)

Perhaps, the Designer run in background. 

A2)

You can configure the designer running as a different user. Perhaps automation add-on runs by system user. The system user often can't access the outer resource.

A3) Sorry, I don't know.

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I check the Designer that installed Desktop Automaton add-on.

A1)

The Designer run in background completely. 

A2)

You can select the running location of the workflow at schedule window.

Run a copy of the workflow stored in the Scheduler DB

Run the workflow from its original location on disk

If you locate the workflow at another computer's HDD, you should configure the designer running as a different user. Perhaps automation add-on runs by system user. The system user often can't access the outer resource.

A3)

I searched the way but couldn't found it, and there is not the menu at Designer.

The scheduler settings seem to be saved here.

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\Persistence

Labels