Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Package Does Not Contain Multiple Input Wildcard Files

PNau
7 - Meteor
When a Workflow has an Input wildcard (e.g., subdirectory/*.xlsx), then an Alteryx Package workflow created in Options, Explort Workflow, will not include those input files referenced in the wildcard. The wildcard input files will be missing when you go to import the files from the yxzp package. Does anyone have a solutions to this or do we need to save the inputs in a separate step and make a note to relink in the new path?
3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
I would advise putting the files in the same location as the workflow; then using the workflow dependency tab to use relative paths, and then just create a .zip file of everything.

Ben
fharper
12 - Quasar

@BenMoss offers a good solution...be it manual.  the export automation can't at this point do what you want.  for explicit files it has the filenames and can get/copy them.  I actually think there is a file size limit so the package is not too big...but that is another thing.

For wild card files the system would need to take additional steps of doing a directory and filtering per the pattern.  they could code for this I am sure but it seems they have not at this point.

I have to ask...is there a reason to package all those files?  are you creating the package to share code or data or both?  

1. if the goal is to share code then you only need one file probably of all the files you might pull in that set....  then you must consider data security...should these data be shared as they exist or MUST you cleanse/mask them of protected information like social security accounts and other PII/HIPPA/etc.  i.e. change the ssn's to 123456789 etc. then you can change the inpout to the one file and package it so they have sample/example data sufficient to execute the flow to understand the code...
  2. If the goal is to share data then move the data to a shared drive on your company's network or if no shared drive handy get a drop box. then update the flow to the new location and package it
PNau
7 - Meteor

Ben and F.Harper,

Thank you both for your replies.  

Yes, I definitely agree zip packaging entire network folders is the best way when archiving everything in a DMS, since it allows you to archive workpapers too.  I just started the practice of first changing the relative path. This will be a big save as my network path is changing soon.

With the Alteryx Package, I was just teaching myself something new, and wanted to make sure I was not missing anything obvious on the wildcard input limitation. 

Harper, I will refer to your suggestions once I start working on projects sharing more data.  Right now, just methodically putting every project in a WF to move away from Excel.  Thank you

P.S. 

Once I take the time to review suggestions and training material on organization, I will start another post to gather feedback on my approach to my folder path file structure, file naming convention, master template setup, and more.  I will be sure to ask for more feedback.  I keep evolving my approach and could use others opinions soon.

Labels