Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Output

CGIQV
8 - Asteroid

Not sure if this is feasible, but if there's a way to do it I'm sure someone on these forums knows!

I have a very specific template with all type of formulas and macros which I need to populate in a few spots with data.  This process needs to be repeated many times.

I took a screenshot to give a ballpark idea of what it is i'm trying to populate:

template.GIF

The yellow cells represent where I need to input data.  I'm confident I could devise a workflow where the data could output to a file in the appropriate cells.  Beyond that, I'm struggling to determine what the optimal way would be to utilize that output to overwrite a pre-existing macro-enabled workbook in only the necessary spots.

One idea would be to drop a new sheet into the workbook with the cells configured as need.  I could then record some sort of macro where the data is copy and pasted into the appropriate cells without overwriting any of the template.  In an ideal world, I would be able to provide the location of the template to Alteryx and have Alteryx be able to copy and replicate that template x# of times, populating each new template with the proper set of data only effecting the defined cells.

Does anyone have any sort of thoughts/ideas as to how they would go about navigating this issue with Alteryx rather than trying to utilize excel's macro record feature?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can actually do this without a macro at all. If you get your final data into a two column structure and output that to another sheet in the excel file you should be all set.

Title 1.    Value 1

Title 2.    Value 2

Title 3.    Value 3

Then you can just put vlookups in your cells of the formatted sheet that reference the raw data sheet of the excel file written out by the Alteryx workflow. It looks up the title name and returns the value. You will just need to set up your template once and these formulas will reflect the latest data output by the workflow. 

CGIQV
8 - Asteroid

Sometimes keeping it simple works best.  

In theory, this should work.  Thanks for providing the light bulb moment.

If I have issues/questions I'll report back.

Labels