Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Macros in Excel

klian02
5 - Atom

Hello All

I am working on a project using Alteryx and I want the results to be used by other members in my team that do not use Alteryx. So I will like to save my work output into a macro.

My question is can I convert the Alteryx macro in any way to be used in Excel?

Just as we are able to use the RUN tool to run Excel Macro in Alteryx, can we do the reverse?

Many thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @klian02 it is possible using the gallery API if you have a Alteryx server. This article highlights this approach.

klian02
5 - Atom

Thanks for the pointer you gave. But it seems that is a little deeper than what I require.

So I have my Macro output saved on my host computer that I can call into Alteryx workflow anytime. Can I call it into excel and make it work there too or can covert it to another format that will be compatible with Excel or I will have to record a new macro in excel?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @klian02 ,

You can't use an Alteryx macro in anything but Alteryx. You can output the results of the macro as data to be worked in Excel, but you can't use the actually functionality of the Alteryx macro in Excel.

You can, of course, remove the Excel macro completely and do that in Alteryx as well. This would be optimal as it would be a step further towards getting rid of Excel entirely.

M.

Bulien

klian02
5 - Atom

Hi @Mceleavy 

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

But when you say I can output the results from the macro to use in Excel, do you mean the normal output tool that can store the data as anything such for tableau or xls and others? I ask because I believe the macro output tool doesn't have an output line that I can further extract the data to another format using the normal output tool or can I? Hopefully my question is clear. Many thanks

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @klian02 ,

Yes, that's correct. All you need to do is right click on the macro and select Open Macro. 

In the macro, at the end of the workflow, add a macro output tool and save the macro. In your workflow, you will now see the macro has an output node to which you can connect an output tool.

M.

Bulien

Labels