Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Join tool

allwynbazil
8 - Asteroid

Team,

I have an interface that sends the data to workflow. The interface has four options. Each option has a different process and connects to the pricing workflow to create a quote. I use the join tool to connect all four processes to the pricing workflow. Only one process will have data every time, and the other three will have no data. In this case, the join is not working as expected, and the workflow stopped.

Is there a way to ignore the empty processes and let Join continue with the data it has? Please help.

allwynbazil_1-1674656224522.png

Regards,

Alwin

21 REPLIES 21
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @allwynbazil,

I would recommend using the UNION tool instead. You can then use the data cleansing tool afterwards to remove the resulting null columns:

FinnCharlton_0-1674656895091.png

Hope this helps

allwynbazil
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @FinnCharlton . By mistake, I mentioned Join. I used Union. However the issue is same. The data is not going through the Union and the workflow stopped there.

allwynbazil_0-1674657412099.png

regards,

Alwin

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@allwynbazilHow many records are going into the union, and how many are coming out? None?

Also, do you get any errors upon running?

allwynbazil
8 - Asteroid

It depends on the option the user selects from the interface. I am not getting any errors but the workflow stops there.

Regards,

Alwin

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @allwynbazil, it's hard to help without some more specifics. Can you open your flow, go to Interface Designer, go to test view, select one of the options and press "Open Debug". You can then investigate what is happening with that union tool.

FinnCharlton_0-1674657918911.png

allwynbazil
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for checking Finn. Currently am passing the input data from text input tool to fix the issues. If works fine I can connect to Interface.

The results window is not showing anything regarding the union. 

allwynbazil_0-1674658190195.png

The data flows through Formula tool and it is not going through the Union.

allwynbazil_1-1674658235276.png

allwynbazil_2-1674658317395.png

Regards,

Alwin

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@allwynbazil That final picture is the Input #1 - which is the join tool not the formula tool. What does the Input #2 look like? 

Try adding a browse tool directly after the union. Is there still no output?

If there is no output in the browse tool, can you send me a screenshot of the union tool configuration?

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Edit: was talking nonsense ignore

allwynbazil
8 - Asteroid

No data in the Browse tool. 

allwynbazil_0-1674658892552.png

The input #2 from formula tool which has data and input#1 is empty. 

allwynbazil_1-1674659007856.png

Union tool config below.

allwynbazil_2-1674659068248.png

Regards,

Alwin

Labels